Friday, October 2, 2015

Flotsam and Jetsam: Carpool In the Texas Suburbs

A few car games for you to play even if you are alone in your car:

Mangle the Song Lyrics Game

We all know about Taylor Swift's "Starbucks lovers." I've been known to mangle lots of song lyrics while singing loudly in my car. Let's play "Mangle The Song Lyrics with Anne."  Can you guess what songs these are?

Song 1:

"Ain't it stormy to my soul?
Stormy just like jelly rolls.
Sto-o-o-ormy."

Song 2:

"I'm not talkin' 'bout the linens.
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
And I'd really love to see ya tonight."

What If Her Majesty Sang It? Game

As I am driving the miles down the Sam Rayburn Tollway to classes and lessons and appointments for the kids, it's fun to re-imagine the lyrics to 80's rock songs being spoken in the parlance of the Queen of England. Or Mary Poppins. Or some such person.

You can play this game even when the kids have friends in the car, as you need not speak the words aloud, and so the kids need not die of embarrassment.

Do you know the song Elizabeth II is speaking here?

"Look at those fellows. That is the way one does things.
One plays the guitar for the music television station.
No indeed, that isn't working. That is the way one ought to do things.
One gets one's money for doing nothing. One gets one's consorts for free."

Or this one?

"I've been shot through my heart,
And you are the one who is to blame.
Poppet, you give Love a questionable reputation."



No comments: